• Putin may have backed a loser in Yanukovych but if we continue to back the western Ukrainians we will be backing an entire nation of historical losers:
Ecstatic western Ukrainians welcome the German army, 1941.
Bhodan Khmelneytsky: Ukraine’s national hero and committed pogromist
Monument to the murderous pogromist Bhodan Khmelneytsky in Kiev, 1999.
Exterminator of Jews Bhodan Khmelneytsky on modern Ukrainian money
• Ukraine is a case where a potential breadbasket is instead a basket case with no potential:
Hey, we’re almost up to the pre-Independence levels under late, decrepit communism! Whe-hew!
• Richard Pryor on why Putin sent troops into Crimea:
Dey was home.
• Yet another brilliant idea from America’s foreign policy establishment: Let’s drum up a world war or at least a new Cold War to force the Crimea back into a country of which it was never really a part!
Crimea belongs to Ukraine about as much as the Panama Canal “belonged” to the United States.
• Hypocrisy check: does the United States of America–
–Support democratically elected governments?
Yanukovych was democratically elected.
–Oppose unprovoked invasions of foreign countries?
Can you imagine if Iraq in 2003 had a population that was 60% American? Our Congress would have unanimously voted for military action just like Russia’s parliament did. (Instead, it “only” passed 297 to 133.)
–Support diplomatic solutions and internationally brokered peace agreements?
The western Ukrainian mob violated a days-old agreement brokered by Germany when they overthrew Yanukovich.
–Support the right of self-determination for all peoples?
The Crimea will vote later this month on whether they want to be part of the Ukraine.
Spoiler alert: they don’t!
And neither would you.
–Oppose anti-semitism wherever it rears its ugly head?