Tag Archives: education
Big Book and High Education
Always pay special attention to the first third of a non-fiction book. The middle is in the middle for a reason and by the end the author wants it over as bad as you do. In the beginning is all the stuff the author actually enjoys dwelling on.
Western medicine is all pathology. Pretty soon we’ll know the how and why of all the ways the body can fail. Treatment will remain symptomatic.
So let’s raise America’s education levels–only test Asian kids. And Jews. On Christmas.
Does this sound like a good investment? Let’s pay for a kid to spend four or five years writing book reports. Think it’ll pay off? So why invest in higher education?
Everything I really needed to know I still haven’t learned yet. So obviously I didn’t need to learn that either.
Memorize the colorful anecdotes and digressions of history and culture. Ignore the main points of discussion because you will never get to discuss them yourself without sounding like a poser-dick.
Read everything as if there’s a 40% chance it’s total bullshit, that way you’ll end up retaining almost 60% of what you read.
Half of what we know cannot be quantified anyway.
And just because you can write an essay when you’re drunk means we’re probably gonna wanna read it when we’re sober. So develop your talents.
School teaches the awesome amazing power of the Last Minute. Huge, semi-monumental B+ quality work can be achieved in that “frantastic” stretch of space-time called the last minute.
Before that, 10 pages seem like 20. With one hour left, they only seem like 8 1/2 with wide margins.
Lawyers get the most schooling and that’s why they do all their work at the last minute. And so paralegals spend their days doing nothing and their nights working late.
Have you ever done nothing all day and then worked late?
Then you haven’t worked for a highly educated boss.
Alan Brech 2012